When I was five I got
a pair of interstellar wellies;
A cosmic present from
my Aunty June.
In pride of place
amongst the gifts of toys and books and jellies,
Sat the wellies
wrapped in paper from the Moon.
For Aunty June was
visiting from up there in the stars,
Along with Uncle Phil
and Cousin Jake.
They’d all arrived in
space suits on a rocket ship from Mars,
Just in time to have
a slice of birthday cake.
Then we all played
hunt the thimble, drank more juice, ate buns and pies,
While the grown-ups
had a chat and drank their tea.
And I wore my
birthday wellies, as I zoomed around the skies,
Flying through the
clouds and round and round a tree.
I practised
loop-de-looping, barrel rolls and humpty bumps,
while Mum and Dad
applauded on the ground.
And once I flew so
fast they must have heard a sonic thump
As my wellies zoomed
me past the speed of sound.
But at six o’clock I
had to stop and pack away my boots
So that Cousin Jake
along with Phil and June
Had the time to say
their fond farewells, put on their astro-suits
And go back to Mars
lit by the stars and Moon.
Copyright © 2022 Jonathan Humble